i-D daniel lismore’s guide to being yourself



daniel lismore’s guide to being yourself

Fresh from the launch of his brand new book, Be Yourself, Everyone Else Is Already Taken, club kid and style icon Daniel Lismore presents his very own guide to being oneself. Over to you, Daniel.


I spent a lot of my time when I was younger trying to be like other people. Then one day I realised I had what it took to be different, to be myself, that I didn't have to be like everyone else. I became the person I am today.
Although I drew a lot of inspiration from some great people, I tried to always concentrate on my own art and ideas, and be true to myself. I may look very dramatic at times, but even when I'm not dressed up I'm true to myself - I am always the same person inside.
1. Stop trying to be like others
You have it in you to do, be and choose whatever you want in life. Quit trying to be like others and don't compare yourself to other people.
2. Trust your instincts
Always go with what you feel, that way you learn if things go wrong and succeed if things go well.
3. Never compromise
Stand up for your worldly vision and what you believe in and do what it takes to fulfil it. Just don't hurt anyone on the way.
4. Be creative
If you are an artist - art is the key ingredient in life for communication, so create what you feel. If you are honest to yourself in art, others will resonate with it whether they like it or not. It helps you choose who you should be in your life. If you do not consider yourself an artist, try something creative. It might help you express what you feel even if you are not great at the technicalities - many of the greats were messy!
5. Believe in you
If you don't believe in yourself, no one else will. Stop caring about how other people perceive you.
Be Yourself, Everyone Else Is Taken is published by Rizzoli